Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Politics

I had a friend tell me that she was fed up with people telling others what they should or should not believe. I am too. So first things first, this is just my beliefe, I have been wrong before.

I was challenged by a friend recently (although probably not intentionally) about my political beliefs. She said something to the effect of "Your political views are all over the place." And she was right. I was challenged and bummed because I did not know how to explain why that was. As if I had not thought it out before. So I did just that.

Today I think "Christians" are confused about their patriotism and political beliefs and how those coincide with their religious views. I often hear that "Christians" are supposed to be of a specific political conviction (I will not call any names here). I think we might be confused though. Should we not be christian before we are republican or democrat, or even american? I believe that I think the way I do because I dont want to be any of those things. So many times I hear explain how they are conflicted over things like abortion. Im american and I believe we have the right, but im a christian and I think it is wrong. Why are we having this debate? Did Christ ever say he was conflicted between his political beliefs and his way of life?

I think christianity (cheesy though it may sound) is its own affiliation. It is when we start to look like the rest of the world that we may need to take a second look at the way we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment